Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 500e sometimes shows a warning or error even when everything is working fine, & sometimes something won't work JUST due to an erroneous code.
EDIT: Updated 5/8/21

FIRST check for recalls
that can be done by ANY FCA dealer (like Dodge, Jeep, Ram...) by entering the VIN here:

Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site

& check that the 12V battery is good. Even when it's technically "dead" the car will often start but cause errors. & it can fully die in only 23 months of normal use. Mine works fine even at only 11.6V after parking unplugged overnight, but ideally take it to a car parts store that does free load testing.

Deactivate the humidity sensor just right of rearview. It's useless & can cause many false alarms, including ABS, RBS, ESC, HSA, PRND, SRS (airbag) etc. Mine's been unplugged 5 years:

Now try any of these, whichever is easiest for you first, since if one works, you're done!:

A) Alfa OBD code clear. May require clearing 2 or more of the separate control units 2 or more times each.

B) Key off 3 minutes. Repeat if needed, up to 10 times. (the most I've ever needed is 3 times off 1.5min, others say 3 min 5-10 times, nhtsa says 3-5min for "sleep" mode).

C) Key off 5-min*, THEN disconnect 12V. 30 seconds worked for me, but when that failed for someone else, & so did 30 min, 30 hours worked.

D) HV disconnect:

1) With the car in "ready" mode if possible, open the hood & left door & don't open or close anything else** for the entire process, to avoid "wake up" signal.

2) Remove the key, wait 3 minutes for "sleep" mode.

3) Remove the orange HV plug under the rear seat bottom, disconnect the 12V, replace the HV plug, & reconnect the 12V*.

IF that doesn't work, there are at least 3 other sequences to try, but for ANY of them make SURE to first do steps 1 & 2 above:

3b) RatfinkHarley's successful sequence, confirmed by BoggleMe, AFTER trying #3 above with no luck: Disconnect & reconnect HV (5 min?), disconnect 12V for 5 minutes.

3c) Official "Emergency" sequence: Disconnect 12V, disconnect HV (assumption is reconnect in reverse).

3d) Disconnect HV, disconnect/reconnect 12V (5 min), reconnect HV.

* Officially recommended by nhtsa.gov Most likely 3 minutes off is also plenty for 12V disconnect, since it's sufficient for HV disconnect.

** I used to think only the left door woke it up, since it's the only one that awakens the HV systems (contactor clunk), HOWEVER the other door and even the hatch can awaken the 12V systems (instrument screen lights up).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
I am not good at all at fixing things by myself. My car is now sitting in my driveway disabled and the nearest dealer is 75 miles away. Any chance you could personally guide me thru that process? Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Disabled exactly how? Does it turn on? Can you shift it into drive/reverse? Can you charge it? What error messages are showing up on the screen?

Do you have a OBD reader similar to this:

and access to an Android phone.

Please answer the questions and then maybe we can figure out what can be done.

ga2500ev
Thank you for your reply. I had the 12 volts batte changed. The lights on the dashboard are on but i cannot shift to drive.
Speedometer Trip computer Gauge Watch Automotive design

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you don't want to wait the full 3 minutes you have to watch for the speedometer screen to go fully black, not just really dark grey. Then it's "asleep" so you can turn on/off again until it goes black again...

While you're doing that, you can go online & check for recalls by entering your vin here:
Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site

Then if you're still doing key cycles because it hasn't worked yet, you can go online & order an OBD dongle from the link in post #17 above from ga2500ev.
I used the eom charge cord and i have the faulty codes lights on the dashboard. I would like to use the key on/off. Would you be able to guide me more precisely on that process? I’m back home Friday and can do it with more detailed guidance, perhaps a video conference would help. There is no recall for my car. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There should be a pretty distinctive "clunk" or "thunk" from somewhere around the rear seat bottom.

If you don't hear that when you open the left door, & then again if you wait with it open for about 30 seconds, then your contactors aren't connecting the HV battery, so the car will not start or charge.

The contactors are powered by the 12V battery, so the first thing NOW might be to make 100% certain that there is at least 11.7 volts at the terminals while it's "asleep" (5 minutes resting with key out & all 3 doors closed).
I sent my car to a local Fiat dealer for a checked-up. They tell me that the hybrid battery, which is the 24 kWh battery is dead and needs to be replaced. What do you think?
Recipe Font Menu Office supplies Paper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts